Home Inspection Tips for Sellers
Are you thinking of selling your home or in the process of selling your home and you are feeling nervous about inspection? You are not alone, many sellers feel like this is one of the most stressful parts of selling a home.
The good news is if you have the right realtor you are not alone. Today I am sharing some home inspection tips for sellers that can help make the process go a little smoother.
Take Your Seller Love Goggles Off
It is time to take you owner goggles off and see your home in the eyes of the buyers. Take a walk around your home and think about the little and big things that need to be fixed. Imagine if you were buying your home, what are the things you would expect to be fixed?
The major components of your home likely contain your roof and structure of your home, plumbing, electrical and HVAC system.
Make sure all of these things are in good working condition.
- If you live in an area like Denver where we get a lot of hail and your roof has gone through a lot of hail storms it may be worth having someone come and check it. Getting it fixed prior to selling can save a lot of issues and delaying closing.
- Make sure your HVAC system has been cleaned and serviced. Believe me this is one of those things that comes up all the time!
- Electrical – Do you have double tapped breakers, are there outlets that don’t work, do your appliances or outlets that trip all the time. If there are things that you know about, get them fixed! P.S I am not an electrician so if I used the wrong terms forgive me. Another big one that comes up with electrical are GFCI outlets. These need to be installed in areas where running water is present. We see these called out all of the time!
- Plumbing – Leaks need to be fixed, taps need to work, your water heater needs to be functioning. All those plumbing pieces need to be in good order.
If you have maintained your home well and have maintenance records be sure to leave them out where the buyers and the inspector can see them. Having a well maintained home will make the buyers very very happy!
Small Things Make a Big Difference
Now time for some of those smaller issues that can become big issues on the inspection report.
- Light Bulbs – Switch them out if they are not working.
- Cleaning – A clean home makes it feel as if there are a lot less issues.
- Air Filters – Change out your air filters.
- Gutters – Clean out your gutters.
- Branches – Got branches hanging over the roof, cut them back!
Doing these small things can make a big difference when it comes to buyers being happy and seeing less come up on a list of things that buyers want fixed!
Check out my video below for more Home Inspection Tips for Sellers and if you are looking to sell your home in the Denver and North of Denver areas, reach out I would love to help!